Book/DVD Guzzler Recommends:

These are reviews of Movies, Books and sometimes Music Albums. They might seem ridiculously positive, but these are works that I think everyone should read/see/listen to.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Title: Wonderfalls
Created by: Todd Holland & Bryan Fuller
Actors: Caroline Dhavernas, Katie Finneran, Diana Scarwid, William Sadler, Tyron Leitso, a.o.
Number of Episode: 13 Episodes
Episode Runtime: +/- 45 Mins.

I Wonder, Wonder Why Wonderfalls Got Cancelled. I have to admit it took me a while to warm up to this show. I think it is mostly because I was watching Angel at the time and still getting over Buffy ending, that I did not feel like watching a show about a girl, who possesses (what a word!) superpowers.

I, eventually, gave it a go, because Tim Minear proved to be such a great guy in a Succubus Club show and he wrote some of the best Angel episodes (for example: Darla).

So, I was lucky to obtain the entire season and when I watched it I could not understand why it got cancelled after 4 episodes. Yeah, I know the show is weird for most people, but I, as a Buffy and Angel fan, have seen weirder things. I think most people just did not get what it is about and that you should not take this show too seriously. Having said that there are some elements about it that make you wonder about things. What makes these animals talk to her? Is it God? Is it Satan? Or is it another entity all together? It also made me wonder what I would do if I had those kind of powers. I would probably go insane. Even more insane than Jaye. I think Jaye handled it pretty well.

I also think that Caroline Dhavernas did a fantastic job portraying Jaye. She starts off as the average slacker, who after having gotten her Philosophy degree, ended up working at the Souvenir shop at Niagara Falls and who lives in a trailer park. Soon, it is apparant that she is not average. She has powers. I loved the scene in which the wax Lion with the smudged face started talking to her. The look on her face was priceless. You can see her being confused, afraid of the lion, afraid of her going insane and just annoyed with the damned thing. Caroline Dhavernas is one of those actresses, who makes you wonder where she has been all this time. She is a great actress. She has fantastic comedic timing, more than most American actresses/actors. She has a great way of giving her lines an extra sarcastic punch. You really got to love her sarcasm. And apparantly, she has been in (french-)Canada.

I love the way she cannot stand her family. And you have to admit they are rather odd. Jaye seems to be the least odd one of the bunch. Her brother is athiest Theolegian and he eventually becomes obsessed with her abilities. Her sister is a lawyer and uses a Republican group to meet women and her parents. Well, I am not sure how to describe them. You will just have to see for yourself.

I love her friend Mahandra who seems to be the only one whom Jaye can talk to. She gives her advice on a lot of things and I love her oneliners. Eric, the new bartender, is amazing too. I like the way his life is a mess and he seems to be indifferent about it. He has this: oh well, that's life attitude. And eventually you cannot help but want Jaye and him get together.

Another thing, I enjoyed were the fantastic animated animals, who started talking at random times. My absolute favourites were: the Coffee Creamer Cow and The Wax Lion. One of my favourite quotes is (paraphrasing): Jaye: Is it a metaphor? Are you Satan? Are you God? I'm going to count to three and if you don't say anything, I'm going to assume your Satan. 1...2...3. Oh, God I'm a crazy person. And what about that theme song, huh? That is fantastic. Once you hear it, it does not let go of you, but in a good way.

I give this show: 8/10. It should never have been cancelled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Flux Directory