Book/DVD Guzzler Recommends:

These are reviews of Movies, Books and sometimes Music Albums. They might seem ridiculously positive, but these are works that I think everyone should read/see/listen to.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Title: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe
Author: C.S. Lewis
Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers
Pages: 90


What a long title, huh? A long title for a good book. I like this one better than the Magician's Nephew, because the Magician's Nephew was more of an introductory novel. This is where the real story begins, at least that is what it feels like to me.

The movie got me interested in the first place. I do not exactly know what it was that sparked my interest but I felt I had to read this. The movie was a nice spectacle of beautiful landscapes (you got to love New Zealand!!), cool creatures, gorgeous animals and talented young actors. That last aspect is very hard to find lately. Most young actors cannot act their way out of a paper bag. But these kids did a great job. Now, the book, of course, does not have all of this.

I was afraid that after seeing the movie I would be disappointed in the book. I was not. The movie follows the book pretty closely, with an exception of a few scenes, like the waterfall scene. So, for me reading it was thinking back to the movie and going: 'Oh yeah, that was cool!' or 'that was such a dramatic scene'. It was a feast of recognition almost.

I like the fact that the movie followed the book. There have been many adaptions that left out complete parts, the most apparent example being: Queen of the Damned. People who know me are afraid to bring up this movie, because I always get very upset about it. For the record: Queen of the Damned is my favourite book of all time. Why change a good book and make it into a bad movie? Such a waste of a good book. I'm glad this was not the case with The Lion....

My final judgement for this book is a positive one, although there were a few things that could have been better (they did do them well in the movie): the fight. In the book it is very short. Not even a whole page. C.S. Lewis should have dragged that out a bit more, because it is over before you know it. It is as if he wanted to finish the book quickly, so he could do something else. It feels rushed and I feel he should have taken the time to expand it a bit more, but nevertheless it is a good book.

I feel there is more action in this book than there is in The Magician's Nephew. That is why I said I feel like the real story starts with this book. Fun fact: this was the first book he wrote. So, if you liked the movie, read it too. And watch out for a nice cameo from a character who appeared in The Magician's Nephew. 8.5/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Flux Directory