Book/DVD Guzzler Recommends:

These are reviews of Movies, Books and sometimes Music Albums. They might seem ridiculously positive, but these are works that I think everyone should read/see/listen to.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Title: The New Dinkum Aussie Dictionary
Author: Richard Beckett
Publisher: New Holland
Pages: 108

Who reads a dictionary? I just did. I know I'm insane, but it is Australian Slang or Strine we're talking about. I absolutely love all things Australian, Strine in particular, and that's why I had to have this cute little book.
It is like a regular dictionary with a term or a phrase in bold letters and an explanation in normal font behind it. The only difference is that it contains extremely funny explanations at times. It is much more interesting to read than a usual boring dictionary. This book teaches you things about Strine you never knew and always wanted to know. So it is both funny and educational.

Lots of phrases are so ridiculous that it makes you wonder where they came from and what the hell they mean. I laughed my arse off at times. You really need to have the explanations to fully understand what some of the phrases mean. Some things are so far fetched it is hard to believe they are actual phrases that are really used on a daily basis by actual human beings.

Everyone who loves Australia and who likes a good laugh has to read this dictionary or just own it, so you can look a few words up when you're watching McLeod's Daughters. I give it a 8.5/10 and that the highest I have ever given a dictionary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Flux Directory