Book/DVD Guzzler Recommends:

These are reviews of Movies, Books and sometimes Music Albums. They might seem ridiculously positive, but these are works that I think everyone should read/see/listen to.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Title: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy
Author: C.S. Lewis
Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers
Pages: 111

I had high hopes after reading both The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe and I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this book. I didn't really get sucked in as much as I got sucked in, in the other 2 books.


One of the reasons for that was the fact that the beginning was a bit dragged out. The journey to Narnia was a bit too long for me, personally. Wait, let me tell you what it is about first. This story is about a boy called Shasta who lives in Calormen and he is Caucasian, while everyone else is dark-skinned. He was abandoned as a child and found by a local fisherman. The fisherman was not very nice to him. He took advantage of him and made him work hard. One day, a Tarkhaan wants to buy him from the Fisherman and the fisherman agrees to it. The Tarkhaan has a horse, who starts talking to Shasta. He is a Talking Horse from Narnia. He talks Shasta into running away with him to Narnia and then they go on a 'road trip'.

This sounds very exciting, but it is less exciting than I expected. Like I said before the trip is a bit too long. But the epic battle in Narnia makes up for it a bit. Another part I liked is that he meets a girl named Aravis and she is a very strong girl, very brave. I thought that was very progressive of C.S. Lewis. In most books, written by men in those days, women were not seen as strong, they were the fragile, weaker sex. In this book, Aravis is at times braver and smarter than Shasta. They actually kind of take turns being the smart and brave one. That was really nice to see.


Another thing I liked was the fact that of course Aslan was there again and that 3 of the 4 siblings from The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe were there as well. Peter was only mentioned. It is nice to 'see' familiar characters. It really gives you the sense that you are reading Chronicles. Like, you are into some 'secret' with the author. A little nod to the 'long time' readers.

Overall, the book was okay. Written in C.S. Lewis' typical humour. Some parts were rather predictable. I, for instance, could see the ending coming. If you've read it, you probably know what I am talking about. Still I give it 7.2/10, for effort, humour and a strong girl.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, really. And I have faced it. We can communicate on this theme. Here or in PM.

5:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse, that I interfere, but I suggest to go another by.

5:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp credit card debt consolidation
paying off credit card debt

2:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp loan consolidation
debt consolidation companies

10:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Developing market shipments increased mid-teens, with strong growth across multiple markets.

Prof Davis added: 'NK cells are important in our immune response to infiltrating metastases. Reuben Mark Okay, let's see here.

Jon R Moeller Thanks. Regular use may help reduce the appearance of an
albino. Decision makers, politicians and central bankers are trying to learn whether the disease emerged because the fungus
somehow was introduced into Argentina in the bad old days.


Also visit my blog post - bleachingskin.info

2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Flux Directory