Book/DVD Guzzler Recommends:

These are reviews of Movies, Books and sometimes Music Albums. They might seem ridiculously positive, but these are works that I think everyone should read/see/listen to.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Title: Pride & Prejudice (2005)
Director: Joe Wright
Actors: Keira Knightley, Donald Sutherland, Jena Malone, Matthew Macfadyen.

I recently watched another Keira movie for the first time. My mom had the *cough*ripped*cough* version of it and I figured now that I am reading the book I should watch the movie as well.

I am glad I did. What a great movie this is! They left out some of the secondary characters which makes it easier to understand. The novel is filled with all these people that make you go: "Who's this again?"

The story is well-known, since it has been filmed numerous times. For those who think it's just a boring story here's the plot: Mrs. Bennett, mother of 5 daughters, desperately wants them to get married to wealthy men. Elizabeth, Lizzie for short, is the second oldest and she believes in real romance and is waiting for it. This makes her rather stubborn and feels most men aren't really good for her, including the infamous Mr. Darcy, who seems very stuck-up.

Mr. Darcy isn't very impressed with Lizzie either. But is all really what it seems? Could it be that Mr. Darcy is just shy? And could it be that Lizzie will eventually fall for him? Hmm.

This version has been dubbed the sexiest version ever made. We get to see a collection of naked men and women (sculptures, of course) and the dancing scene, where Darcy and Lizzie dance for the first time, sizzles. Men and women hardly ever touched each other in those days and dancing at balls was the only moment they did. You can clearly see that. The sexual tension and passion in those touches, even though they themselves are oblivious to them. And those who have seen it will remember the pig!

The cast is also gorgeous. Keira does a fantastic job as Lizzie and I can see why she was nominated for an Oscar. Next to Keira we see the mysterious Matthew MacFadyen as Mr Darcy. He brings Mr. Darcy to another, instead of being a cold guy, he gives him a shy side. The cute Simon Woods stars as Mr Bingley (those eyes!!!). American (!) actress Jena Malone as Lydia Bennett. They are accompanied by great actors: Donald Sutherland and Judi Dench. You can't go wrong with a cast like that.

The scenery is also mindblowing. I really love the scenes where Keira is walking and/or running through fields in the rain! The rain really adds to the mood of the story. It is not a heavy storm, but it gives just that little bit of extra drama. And so do the costumes.

I have to say this is my favourite version I have seen so far. I give it a 8.5/10. I immediately went online and saw it for 9 euros and got it! This is worth spending your money on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Flux Directory